About Akitani Academy
Long established elite juku in Yokohama looking for a replacement teacher who is leaving her
post (temporarily) after 9 years.
Part Time Native English Teacher – Yokohama
Located in Yokohama
April 13, 2021
Education / Teaching
Child Education, Adult education, Tutoring
Part Time / Experienced (Non-Manager)
¥9000-10,500 / Day or ¥3000 / Hour
● Depending on how many days a week are worked
● English: Native level
● Japanese: Basic
● Must currently reside in Japan long term
● Female from Canada, US, UK, NZ or Australia, late-30s, early 40’s
● Please attach a photo with your application showing your face along with your CV and other
Akitani Academy is currently accepting applications for a Native English Instructor. We are an elite juku/cram school in Yokohama teaching students from Elementary school up to high school as well as university students and adults.
We are looking for someone to take over from June, so the applicant should be available to come in the last week of May 2021.
We are a professional group of teachers and we want to find a like-minded individual to replace one
of our long-term native teachers who is moving to the EU temporarily. If you are up to the challenge, please read the job description and requirements carefully. We are looking forward to considering your application.
-Planning original lessons customized to the needs of each of your classes, according to Akitani
-Conducting two discussion classes a week initially that focus on academic speaking and writing
skills as related to EIKEN, TOEFL and IELTS.
-Being open to conducting further lessons one-on-one or in groups that are both entertaining and
informative each week
-Editing and providing feedback on student academic writing submissions twice a week (on the days
that you are working) and submitting these back to the students on the same day
– Must have been raised in a country whose main language is English
– Must currently live in or near Yokohama
– Must currently possess a valid visa with work permission
– Candidate must be available to work two days a week, (i.e. Tuesday or Fridays and Saturdays) from
around 18:00 to 21:30. Saturday’s shift will be in the daytime. Availability can be discussed in our
Candidates with the following attributes will be given top consideration:
– Genuinely loves teaching
– Has a background in humanities, political science from an English-speaking university
– Has a 4 year degree from an accredited university
– Is planning on a career in teaching long term
– Is positive, easy going, flexible, but also motivated to work hard and be the best they can be as a
– Understands and accepts cultural differences in working with Japanese staff and management
– Has academic qualifications such as CELTA or TEFL certification
Working Hours, Salary, and Training information:
The successful candidate would be asked to come in a week before starting to shadow the existing
teacher and meet the students to better understand the style and pace of the classes.
After training you will most likely be taking over the current teachers classes where you will continue
to teach the same group of students in the same classes week after week from June 2021.
A starting teacher will be paid 9,000 – 10,500 yen per day worked. After a 1 month probationary
period your contract will be extended upon satisfactory evaluations and feedback from students.
Transportation fees are not covered.