About Codeplay Software Ltd
Artificial intelligence (AI) requires a very high level of software development expertise applying decades of research and mathematics, as well as making heavy demands of the best processor systems. With the evolution of semiconductor technology that delivers superior processor architectures and faster memory implementations, advanced AI can now be performed on devices scaling from powerful cloud compute systems performing tasks such as voice and video analysis, right down to embedded devices in homes and businesses used for the Internet-of-Things (IoT).
Today, many semiconductor and processor companies have their own specialized processor architecture tuned for complex AI functions. The latest AI applications are using neural networks to enable machine learning applications and these processors enable NN operations to be performed with greater efficiency. However, as processor design tries to catch-up on AI needs, research continues to evolve, extending the processing needs of the underlying hardware and software can progress independently is crucial to compete.
Codeplay has developed a range of products called ComputeSuite™ that bridge the gap between the latest AI processors and AI application developers using well established open standard interfaces. These products have been developed for use in a range of market segments, including safety critical products such as ADAS and ultimately the autonomous vehicle.
In software, an open standards layer is an interface specification for developers to base their solutions on. Similarly, processor developers create solutions with low-level software drivers that expose an open standards layer. The following benefits are then achieved:
- Application developers can develop software without being bound to a specific hardware solution
- Processor developers can provide hardware capable of supporting existing applications as well as enabling a larger number of application developers
- Wider skills availability, where engineers can work with development tools they are familiar with
- Accelerated time to market and long-term maintenance reduced
- Industry wide acceptance of open standards layers, with all major companies contributing to their definitions