- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary ¥1,200 - ¥3,500 / Hour
- English Level Native level
- Japanese Level Not necessary
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Japan only
- Visa Sponsorship No
- Native or fluent speaker of English
- Valid working VISA in Japan
- Ability to teach the subjects described below (in the "must be able to teach" section)
Not required but preferred:
- Knowledge or experience in international schools and the IGCSE/IB program
- Prior teaching experience
- Ability to teach one or more subjects in the "additional subjects" section below
- English-Japanese bilingual
***This is a semi-full time position. See "Working Hours" and "Salary" for details.
This is not an ESL teaching position; students attend international schools and are either bilingual or native English speakers.
AIM Academy is currently looking for committed and motivated individuals to join our team! We are an all-English after-school academy located near Ishikawacho Station & Motomachi Chukagai Station in Yokohama. This position is ideal for professionals and new graduates with a passion for teaching and helping students reach their goals.
Subjects that you must be able to teach:
- Elementary Language Arts (reading, writing, spelling and grammar)
- Middle School English (reading and essay writing)
- English Analysis (IGCSE and/or IB/AP level, poetry and prose analysis and essay writing)
Additional subjects (not required but an advantage for your application if you can teach them)
- Math (elementary to calculus with the higher grades focused on the IGCSE/IB curriculum)
- Sciences (chemistry, physics and biology at a level equivalent to the IGCSE and/or IB curriculum)
- Social sciences and humanities (Individuals and societies, history, etc.)
- Theory of Knowledge (TOK)
- Monday-Friday 15:00-20:30 (including lesson and non-lesson time)
- Saturdays optional (for additional pay or in place of one weekday)
- We also have a number of students who come in for make-up lessons, so irregular lessons may be available throughout the month.
- Students come in on a set time/day every week.
- Each lesson varies between 1-2 hours in length.
- ¥1200 for any non-lesson hours.
- ¥2500-3500/hour depending the lesson types.
- ¥2500 per hour for elementary lessons.
- ¥3000 per hour for middle school lessons.
- ¥3500 per hour for high school lessons.
- Transportation compensated up to 1000 yen/day.
- Social health insurance (Shakaihoken) not included.
- All lessons are taught in a 1-to-1, 1-to-3 or group setting and entirely in English.
August 21st, 2023, with training to be held prior to that date.
The ideal candidate:
- is responsible, professional and organized
- has a stellar record of academic excellence, and consistently scored highly in standardized examinations (SSAT, SAT, IGCSE, AP, IB, etc)
- has a strong passion for teaching and mentoring young people, holding them to the same high standards to which they hold themselves
- has strong interpersonal skills
- cares about the student's learning and enjoyment throughout the lesson
- is able to develop a positive rapport with students through an energetic and supportive medium
- is a team player and be ready to contribute to making the classroom a positive environment for both the students and teachers
If interested, please submit your CV with a cover letter (optional), a photo, and 2 references.
Only those that pass the initial screening process will be notified.
1 Chome-25 Ishikawacho, Naka Ward, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan