- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary ¥255,000 - ¥265,000 / Month (Contract Completion Bonus of ¥100,000)
- English Level Native level
- Japanese Level Not necessary
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Japan only
- Visa Sponsorship Yes
***IMPORTANT: APPLICATION PROCEDURE***
1. All applicants are required to write a cover letter. This positions is available for an immediate start date but depending on the circumstances, other start dates are also possible. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter.
2. All applicants will be asked to complete the automated pre-interview video on this website. This is a generic video that can be used to apply for other jobs as well, so we highly recommend completing this video. Applicants without a video will be invited to complete this pre-interview step.
3. Once the video has been completed, the next step will be an interview via Zoom.
4. Successful applicants will then be asked to visit the school to observe lessons and provide a demo lesson with actual students.
• Native-level English. No Japanese required though basic understanding a plus.
• Applicants currently living in or willing to move to the Osaka area.
• Visa that allows full time work. Sponsorship for visa type change is possible.
• Teaching experience with children of at least one year. Experience with kindergarten ages a plus.
• Energetic, creative, outgoing, and someone who enjoys working with children are all personality traits we look for when hiring.
• English teaching certification a plus.
• Programming/Coding Experience a plus. *Currently we have 6 classes of week of programming in English and we're looking for a teacher with some coding experience. Though not completely required, candidates with experience are preferred. Basic computer skills, website development, block coding, or other such experience would qualify.
Start date: Immediate thru August
Lifeway English has two locations: one in Izumiotsu, Osaka, and one near Sakai-higashi Station in Sakai, Osaka. Our school has been open since 2014 and have nearly 400 students, mostly age 12 and under, taking lessons each week. We currently have three native-level teachers, two Japanese full-time staff who both teach and manage the schools, and two part-time assistants.
We pride ourselves on providing quality lessons with a focus on phonics and reading. Our lessons use story based teaching where the kids become immersed in the world of the characters in order to make the language come to life in the classroom.
Low Staff Turnover:
We haven't had to hire many teachers over the years because of our low turnover. While we've only been open for eight years, our longest member of staff has been with us for six years and our "newer" member has started year three. A previous team member left us only to return to his home country. One reason for this is our western style of management that creates a friendly atmosphere for staff and allows freedom to try new things without daily over-the-shoulder micromanagement. While we provide a fully-developed curriculum, we also give ongoing training and opportunities for personal development.
We're expanding, come join us:
We're hiring because we're expanding and we need to add to our team so we can continue to grow. We are looking for a teacher to teach both English and programming in English to kindergarten through junior high school aged children. We hope to find a candidate who is looking for more than just a short-term job and wants to become part of a team who takes pride in providing quality lessons to their students.
Our full time teachers have around 25 lessons per week with two or three preparation hours each day. The days and hours are Tuesday to Friday, 1 pm to 9 pm, and Saturday, 9 am to 4 pm. Most lessons are 50 minutes long with JHS lessons being 75 minutes and programming lessons being 60 minutes.
This job will be 2 or 3 days at our Sakai-higashi location, and the other 2 or 3 days at our Izumiotsu location. Both locations are accessible from the Nankai-honsen from Sakai station or Izumiotsu station. Both locations are roughly a 10-15 minute walk from their respective stations.
Our English curriculum is fully developed and flashcards/materials are all provided. While we have full lesson plans from previous years available, we encourage teachers to use them as a jumping point to customize the lessons for their current students. We're also adding new types of lessons to our offerings so flexibility in teaching styles for different student ages and abilities is a big plus.
The new applicant will not only cover English lessons, but also between 5 and 10 programming lessons each week. We are a Wonder Code franchise (https://wondercode.jp) and training is provided along with a complete curriculum and lesson plans for each lesson. While it's possible for someone with no coding experience to teach these lessons, we are hoping to find someone with some programming or computer skills to fill this position. These lessons are taught completely in English and for someone who's looking to teach more than just the same English lessons as usual, this is a great opportunity to expand your teaching experience.
The starting salary is ¥255,000/month with raises available each year. For candidates with teaching experience and/or some programming background, a salary of ¥265,000/month is possible.
We will provide transportation costs up to ¥15,000 per month.
We start all candidates on a probationary and training period of one month, paid at full salary.
All our full-time staff is on the social health insurance and pension system (shakai-hoken).
We have several paid training days throughout the year where we have no lessons and work together as a team to increase our own abilities and share ideas. We also visit other English schools to learn about what they do and bring back new ideas. We hope anyone who works with us is interested in developing their own skills as a teacher while they're with us.
As an established school with a high student retention rate, we have a full curriculum with flashcard, materials, and lesson plans.
Teachers are provided with a desk, computer, and iPad to use for lessons. We have large classrooms with room to move, and each has a projector and a large whiteboard.
We have 7 weeks of paid holiday throughout the year including most public holidays.
As we continue to grow, we're looking for team members who can become managers and trainers for future staff so there is room to grow within our small company.