- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary 225,000-255,000 (Most teachers start around 240,000) JPY / Month
- English Level Native level
- Japanese Level Conversational Level
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Japan only
- Visa Sponsorship Yes
Keio Academy, a Japanese company based in Nakatsu-City, Oita Prefecture is seeking an enthusiastic, English teacher to work full time. We are looking for people with positive personalities who enjoy teaching.
The hired teacher will teach mainly Adult English classes at a company in Nakatsu and at times within our school itself. Teachers will have some curriculum and teaching materials available but we hope that teachers will also bring in their own creativity with their lesson plans.
The job is never boring and many of our teachers made lasting bonds with their students, co-workers and the local community. We have several teachers who have been with the company for 10+ years.
Nakatsu City is castle town in northern Kyushu. It has a population of about 80,000 people and a rich history. It is the childhood home of Yukichi Fukuzawa who is one of the founders of modern Japan (He is also on the 10,000yen bill). It is big enough to be convenient but small enough to retain its charm (and lower living costs). Home to many shrines, temples, teahouses and the yearly Gion festival that is a major attraction of the area. Nakatsu also boasts some very nice hiking trails, cycling paths and numerous hot springs. It is also very easy to get away for the weekend to a larger city like Kokura, Hakata or the hot springs resort town of Beppu. All of which are only a short distance away by train.
Keio Academy was founded in 1984 and is one of the oldest English schools in Kyushu. It is a well-known and respected institution in Nakatsu. There are now four Keio Academy schools in Japan and one in Taiwan. More information on the job and location can be found here
Also, please take a look at our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/KeioAcademy/ where you can find many photos of our school and staff. Additionally, we have a class information video which shows some of the things we do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpIbQcHYzw0
- Starting salary of between 225,000 – 255,000yen a month based on experience and skill. We want to be very straightforward about salary, so please look below to determine what a new hire can expect.
The base salary is 225,000 yen/month plus 5000yen a month for each of the following that applies to you.
- From a country with English as the official language (USA, Canada, UK, NZ, Australia, Ireland) or can present proof of native-level proficiency through a test such as TOIEC.
- JLTP Level 3 or above (or 2 years of university level Japanese study)
- A Japanese driver’s license or the ability to legally drive in Japan with a valid international license. (Required for this specific position)
- A Master’s degree or PHD in a related educational field
- 2 or more years teaching experience
- TEFL/CELTA/TESOL certification (on-line courses must contain some classroom experience)
- Training and enrichment seminars throughout the year
- Opportunities for contract renewal and advancement
- 5 weeks of paid vacation (25 days plus the connected weekends) spread out throughout the year.
- Free access to a company car for required work travel.
- Keio will find a furnished apartment for the hired teachers and will pay part of the key money (a type of deposit). Rent is 47,000yen a month
- Matched payments for social insurance and pension
- A close knit group of teachers from around the world
Requirements and Qualifications:
- A native-level English speaker. English must be your first and primary language or a language you can demonstrate proficiency in.
- At least a bachelor’s degree from a college or university
- The strong desire to help Japanese students succeed at learning English
- Priority will be given to applicants with teaching licenses, teaching degrees or TESOL/CELTA/TEFL/ESL certification and/or experience teaching. New teachers that are flexible and willing to learn are also very welcome to apply.
- This position requires the ability to drive in Japan and a Japanese or International driver’s license.
- Japanese language ability is required.
- Due to COVID restrictions we can only accept applicants who are already in Japan
- How to Apply:
If you are interested in working for Keio Academy, please send us:
1. Your resume
2. A cover letter
3. A recent photo of yourself
Optionally you may send us any other photos, videos or documents that let us know what kind of person/teacher you are.
Thank you for reading and we are looking forward to hearing from you.