- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary 493,100 ~ 548,900 JPY / Month depends on experience according to Nishimachi faculty salary scales
- English Level Native level
- Japanese Level Not necessary
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Japan only
- Visa Sponsorship No
Nishimachi International School is seeking a full-time, temporary music teacher for its elementary school for the second semester (5 months) with an immediate start. The position does not continue for next school year, but rather fills a temporary vacancy this school year.
This is a wonderful opportunity to experience life at one of Tokyo’s leading international schools. Music plays an extremely important role in the curriculum at Nishimachi and the elementary school music teacher is central to the musical development of our students as well as giving them some of their unforgettable memories from their time at school.
The music teacher will work both independently and collaboratively with homeroom and other specials teachers to prepare and teach classes from Kindergarten to Grade 5. A typical week includes a little over 24 classes a week, half of which are one hour long, while the other half range from 30-50m each. Our class sizes are 20 students maximum.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Preparing and teaching dynamic lessons that inspire students
- Ensuring that all students are fully and consistently engaged in classroom activities
- Conducting effective classroom management
- Evaluating student progress
- Collaborating with homeroom teachers to foster connections between the core curriculum and music, and to support student wellbeing
- Communicating with families to share academic progress, including reporting at the end of the year.
- Preparing for and facilitating student-led conferences
In addition to a competitive salary, you will receive the following benefits:
- Housing Allowance: ¥50,000 per month
- Family Allowance: ¥5,000 ~ ¥25,000 per month (depending on number of dependents)
- Commutation Allowance: Actual Amount
You will be entitled to vacation when the school is closed. School closures between now and the end of the school year include mid-winter holiday, spring holiday and part of Golden Week.
The successful candidate ideally will have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Relevant teaching qualifications
- Three or more years elementary school experience, teaching music in a mainstream school
Fluent in English (both oral and written)
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative and communication skills
- Initiative and integrity
- Currently reside in Japan with full working visa
- Recent child protection certificate or documentation
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection. The school requires background and criminal record checks as a precondition of employment.