About Kumamoto International School
Kumamoto International School (KIS) is located in Kumamoto, on the Island of Kyushu, in western Japan. We have both a primary school and preschool division. Our preschool division, Picasso, opened 19 years ago, and KIS opened 4 years ago. At the primary school, we are an accredited International Baccalaureate World School.
Our goal is simple:
To be a world-class school and to have a great time while doing it.
Working hard and having fun together, we want all members of the school community to love being part of what we are creating.
In 2024, we will open a junior high school division, and in 2027, we will open a high school. There is thus significant potential for advancement as the school grows.
Built around one of the 3 most famous castles in all of Japan, Kumamoto boasts one of the highest qualities of life anywhere in in the country: the air and water are clean, the weather beautiful (300+ days of sunshine / year), and there is easy access to abundant and pristine nature. If you love nature and the outdoors, you’ll love Kumamoto. In addition, the active volcano Mt. Aso is only an hour away, and Osaka is only 3 hours away via a direct bullet train: weekend getaways are easily arranged. Thanks to the numerous farmers in Kumamoto prefecture, fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat are also easy to come by and cheap: 1/2 the price in Tokyo!
We currently have a total of 25 staff between our preschool and primary school divisions. Our goal is to find great staff and build a great team. Our philosophy: we don’t teach people to be nice and work hard; we hire hard-working, nice people. Our longest-serving Japanese staff have been with us for 15 years, and several other teachers have been with us for more than 10 years. We place a high priority on staff cohesion and cooperation, and there is always someone there to help as necessary. You will never be treated as, or feel like, a cog in a large organization.
Are we a good fit?
• Do you want to work for a smaller school that you can grow with?
• Are you relentless in your effort to learn more and improve?
• Do you want to work at a school that shares your passion for excellence?
• Do you find the idea of teaching young learners age 2 – 12 each day hugely invigorating?
• Do you want to live and work in a smaller Japanese city that offers exceedingly high quality of life?
• Do you like the idea of walking or biking to work rather than commuting on a cramped train?
• Do you want to work at a growing school that offers numerous growth opportunities in a variety of roles?
• Do you want to be a “change agent” who literally changes the lives of the children you teach?
• Do you like the idea of being coached on your journey to becoming the best teacher you can be?
• Do you love the idea of being part of a collaborative like-minded team focused on delivering amazing education outcomes for your students?
• Do you respect Japanese culture, values, traditions, and ways of thinking?
• Do you never want to feel like a cog in a big organization?
- Believe that great educators come from all backgrounds and do not need to have extensive teaching experience when the are hired
- Are relentless about continuous improvement on our journey to becoming the best international school in Japan
- Believe that one great teacher is worth three average teachers
- We care more about your intelligence and values than your experience
- Work to create a tight-knit team of professionals 100% focused on delivering the best education outcomes for our students
- Believe that one great teacher can impact the life of their students forever
- Support our teachers 100% to allow them to do their best work
- Coach our teachers to become true master educators who change the lives of the students in their care
Our school is a very positive, bright, high-energy environment. Our commitment is to high quality education in all aspects of what we do. Only teachers who want to be part of, and will actively contribute to, such an environment, should apply! If that’s you, you’ll love it here!