- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary ¥2,500 - ¥2,800 / Hour (negotiable)
- English Level Fluent
- Japanese Level Conversational Level
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Japan only
- Visa Sponsorship Future possibility / Renewal
We are an international team with a mix of local and foreign teachers working in each of our studios. We want our team to have the same growth mindset we are instilling in our students.
An ideal Curioo teacher will:
- have a university degree (preferably with an Education focus)
- have 2-3 years of experience teaching children
- be a native speaker or be fluent in English (TOEIC 750+; CEFR B2+)
- be able to communicate with students and parents in Japanese (native speaker or JLPT N3+)
- have an English Teaching Certificate (TEFL / CELTA, or equivalent)
- have a valid visa to work in Japan (part-time)
- willing to work 2-3 days per week; flexible schedule during holidays
Candidates who meet all listed requirements can expect to be paid the top rate. Opportunities for raises for those who up-skill while working at Curioo Japan.
Teach, learn, and grow.
What are the skills needed for the future leaders of tomorrow? Let's go beyond just teaching English. Integrated knowledge, transferable skills, and a growth mindset are essential for a brighter future. At Curioo, we strive to go beyond delivering lessons and focus ourselves on facilitating curiosity, communication, and a growth mindset in our studios.
Curioo teachers facilitate in four subject areas: of Creative Design, Technology, Entrepreneurship, and English Communication. We are looking for like-minded educators to help grow future-ready young people in a fun, positive student-centred learning environment via inquiry-based learning, PBL, CLT, and TPR approaches (to name but a few!)
CURIOO Japan will be expanding rapidly, so opportunities to work in other parts of Japan will become available. As well, we have professional development pathways within CURIOO Japan and CURIOO Global.
A typical day involves team planning, teaching groups of up to 8 students ages 3–12, and entering individual student feedback into our proprietary AI-driven behavioural-aptitude reporting system (CBAS). Each week part-time teachers work 2-4 days between 14:00 and 20:30 on weekdays and between 9:00 and 18:00 on Saturdays. In addition to teaching, lesson preparation time and administration time are also paid hourly. A daily transportation stipend is also offered. Each term is ten weeks long and is followed by a week of one-to-one parent-teacher meetings for all students. Training is conducted both prior to teaching and ongoing throughout the year, supported by both Curioo Japan and Curioo Global.
Throughout the year, we have a number of events for our students and their families. Some of our 2023 events were: the 'Learn through Travel' exchange programme with students from Curioo Vietnam; the STEM egg-drop challenge; Market Day, where students made and sold their goods or services; Summer camps; Halloween and Christmas events; and Winter day-camps. We also hosted international internships with university students from Hong Kong.
1. Application with video interview
2. Zoom interview
3. Trial Class (in person or online)
Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan