- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary Approx. ¥1,750 ph (with bonuses - from ¥114,400 pm not including bonuses) JPY / Month
- English Level Native level
- Japanese Level Basic Level
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Japan only
- Visa Sponsorship Yes
- Part-time – Teaching small classes of adults – max 5 students per class.
- The lessons are dynamic, fast moving and fun for both students and teachers alike and achieve real results.
- Although a part-time position, there is the possibility of progressing to full-time, with all the benefits and security that entails, for those interested.
- A bright and positive working environment.
- A teaching method designed to work and to ensure enjoyable lessons.
- Student improvement leading to job satisfaction.
- Real and continuing improvement in teaching skills.
- Highly supportive fellow staff.
The Speak Your Mind School, Shibuya.
Established 1997 – Part of an international network of schools. The present school was purpose-built in 2015 with a central lounge for students and 4 classrooms leading off it. There is a teachers’ room and a reception. It’s a bright and cheerful place to work.
We use the Speak Your Mind English course, which has been developed and tested in classrooms in various countries over the last 25 years. It has been designed with the aim of receiving student and teacher approval.
For complete information about the course, and videos of lessons, before applying, please go to www.symenglish.com
- Weekday evenings from 18:25 to 21:25 and alternate Saturdays from 09:25 to 12:25.
- Working up to a maximum of 15 hours a week (18 on alternate-Saturday weeks).
- Starting salary, once your contract begins, approx. ¥1,750 ph (including bonuses – initially ¥114,400 pm not including bonuses) increasing with skill and experience.
- No lesson preparation is necessary outside paid working hours.
- a) Contract completion bonus after 1 year’s continuous employment.
- b) Twice yearly bonus based on your and the school’s performance.
- Up to 10,000 yen a month, plus accident insurance (rosai hoken).
We are closed on Sundays and public holidays. We normally close for a few days around Golden Week and the New Year and for a week or more around March and in October. You will also be entitled to statutory paid holidays.
- An interest in language and communication.
- A good ear for what sounds natural and what doesn’t.
- Loves teaching and finds it worthwhile and interesting.
- Responsive and quick thinking: brings energy, enthusiasm and expertise to the classroom.
- Thrives on the reward of learner progress.
- A good listener, good communicator and naturally able to make people feel at ease.
- None necessary but please see TEACHER QUALITIES above.
- Some is preferred but not essential.
Immediately/ASAP. Candidates interested in longer-term employment will be preferred.
WORKING WITH US
At Speak Your Mind we care about both students and teachers. We invest in our teachers by putting them all through a paid 35-hour training course.
Our training course is designed to introduce new teachers to all aspects of the Speak Your Mind English course: the history and development of the method, the worldwide network of schools and the theory underlining the teaching material. Most importantly, there is lots of practice using the material with volunteer students.
You will be very busy as there is a lot to learn but at the end you will be able to go into a class with confidence.
We are very keen to ensure continuing professional development with on-going training and guidance.
- On successful completion of the initial training course teachers are taken on for a 3 Month Probationary Period – During this time you will teach regular classes with ample time for lesson preparation as your training continues. Goals will be set for improvement during this time.
- Following successful completion of the probationary period, you will be offered a 9-month contract.
- Becoming a better teacher is a lifelong process and all teachers receive regular training and guidance throughout their employment at Speak Your Mind, Shibuya.
- We offer career development (to course director, school manager) to those so inclined and suited.
- We aim to start training as soon as possible, with the probationary period starting immediately afterwards and contracted employment straight after that.
IMPORTANT – please read this carefully:
In order to apply for this position:
- A COVER LETTER, specific to this listing, referring to the requirements and explaining what attracts you to the job, MUST accompany your application. Please also answer this question: How many meanings of the verb ‘to get’ can you think of?
- You MUST be a native English speaker, whose 1st language is English
- You MUST already be in Japan.
- Specialist in Humanities and International Relations (we are willing to sponsor teachers for visa renewal)
- Permanent Residency
- Spouse visa
- Or Japanese citizenship.
We CANNOT employ you if you have an Instructor, Student, Working Holiday or Tourist visa.