- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary ¥250,000 - ¥300,000 / Month (Negotiable, based on qualification, skill and experience.)
- English Level Fluent
- Japanese Level Basic Level
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Overseas applicants allowed
- Visa Sponsorship Yes
- English level - native proficiency
- Bachelor's degree or valid working visa/permanent residency in Japan
- Love for working with people of all ages, and for helping them to grow as English speakers and as people.
Preference will be given to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- 2+ years teaching experience
- Qualification in TESOL/TEFL/CELTA
- Bachelor degree or higher with a major focus on education
- Valid driver's license (Japan or overseas with eligibility to convert to Japanese license)
- Currently residing in Japan
- Conversational Japanese proficiency level
Welcome to English Plus, centrally located in beautiful Yamanashi prefecture. We are a privately-owned English Conversation school with a 30+ year history in Yamanashi. From our school grounds you can see Mt. Fuji, and Yamanashi offers endless opportunities for cultural and outdoor fun. We are just an hour and a half train ride from Tokyo, so more urban interests can be pursued close and hand. English Plus is a proven leader for language education in the prefecture, with over 8,000 students served over the years. We know that fulfilled instructors make for inspiring lessons and motivated students. By placing a high priority on in-house professional development opportunities, hands-on training, and open communication within our team, we aim to help each instructor fulfill their potential as true educators. We are privileged to work with both long-term teaching staff as well as instructors who have returned to work with us time and again. Our goal is simple - we pride ourselves on our unwavering commitment to supporting our students as they strive to be able to say, "Yes, I can speak English!" We foster student growth through every interaction, both in and out of the classroom.
At English Plus, English is more than just a language. It is one of the most important tools our students can acquire to achieve their dreams, enabling them to explore opportunities outside of their backyards. It is our mission to provide experiences which pique our students' curiosity and build the kind of strong, trusting relationships which are key to establishing a positive mindset toward learning English. Interactions with teachers bring English to life, and that is why we welcome unique backgrounds and personalities in our teachers. Our foundation for student success is built upon the success of our teaching staff, and so we place great emphasis on training and professional development.
With this in mind, we are looking for dedicated, passionate and professional individuals with experience. Individuals who are eager to build their repertoire by acquiring the unique skills and techniques presented in our training program. The successful candidate will interact positively and connect deeply with students of all ages, and genuinely share in the joy of each student's growth. Flexibility, teamwork, and dependability will be indispensable attributes in the position as coworkers include instructors from Japan and a wide variety of cultural backgrounds. Respect for Japanese culture and understanding of the Japanese workplace will be essential for becoming a fully-contributing team member at English Plus.
If you are ready to experience a real, growth-oriented teaching environment, and life in a truly beautiful place, then send your cover letter to "Melony Ward, Managing Director". I'm excited to learn more about you and explore the possibilities of working and growing together! Come join us and experience the real difference you can make for your students and yourself!
- Work with students of all ages, from toddlers through older adults.
- Toddler and kindergarten classes use original, developmentally appropriate curricula which are based heavily on music, dancing and games.
- Older children's classes shift to a heavily game-based lesson structure, where we incorporate the PLS method (Pacific Language School).
- For Junior high school students and up we combine textbook instruction with carefully crafted conversation-based lesson plans where opportunities for self-expression and learning are maximized for all students.
- Take advantage of our many training opportunities and master the curricula for the classes in your teaching schedule.
- Work one of the following shifts teaching between 23 and 26 hours per week:
- Tuesday-Friday 13:00-22:00 and Saturday 9:00-18:00
- Wednesday- Friday 13:00-22:00 and Saturday & Sunday 9:00-18:00
- Teaching schedule is negotiable for part-time instructors.
- Join in English Plus events several times per year, providing students with opportunities to put their English skills to the test. Past events include Spring Picnic, Sports Day, Sunday Cafe, Video Game Competition, Train Field Trips, Halloween and Christmas parties, etc. Events are rotated across a number of years to provide students with a wide variety of experiences. New event ideas are welcome, as we want to incorporate staff creativity and ideas into our programming as much as possible.
- Paid, customized training which will equip you not only to use our curricula, but also to master the skill of classroom management. Our teaching techniques are widely applicable to a whole spectrum of teaching situations and will become valued tools for you as an educator.
- English Plus will contribute 50% of the cost for your health insurance and pension.
- Unemployment insurance
- National holidays and 2 days off per week
- Fixed yearly vacation time (approximately 4 weeks)
- Future opportunities for advancement are possible for qualified, proven instructors.