- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary 6,000,000-7,700,000 JPY / Year Including performance bonus
- English Level Native level
- Japanese Level Not necessary
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Japan only
- Visa Sponsorship Future possibility / Renewal
About Tokyo Academics:
We are Tokyo’s leading academic tutoring, test preparation, and college admissions counseling company, providing world-class education in the heart of Tokyo. TA is the passion project of a constellation of teachers, researchers, and academics in Tokyo, Japan. Since 2012, we’ve evolved from a few university friends tutoring at a tiny restaurant in Tokyo into an organization of academic, test prep, and college admissions experts, helping students to realize and reach their potential and capture the opportunities of the future.
Our tutors work with English-speaking, international students from 1st grade through 12th grade (and some post-graduate students), in various academic subjects, ranging from Latin and Debate to Computer Science and AP Physics. Most of our team is in Japan and in the Philippines, but we are growing our US-based team as well. Most of our students are located in Japan, but we also have students in the US, Europe, and other parts of Asia.
Over the last 8 years, we have grown consistently year after year. We are also constantly expanding our line of services. We started with just private test prep tutoring, and now we offer academic tutoring, group classes, online learning, college admissions counseling, boarding school admissions counseling, coding classes, and student research (also running one of the only international high school research conferences in the world). We are hoping to expand our services beyond Tokyo, to other parts of Japan, Asia, and the world.
About the role:
We are looking for a TOEFL Lead to create and manage a new division at Tokyo Academics.
This position is best suited for a self-driven individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment. This is an opportunity to really buy into the vision of a young and growing company and become a part of the core team in the long run.
What you will be responsible for:
- Sourcing and/or creating a TOEFL curriculum
- Teaching TOEFL in group settings and one-on-one to a variety of age ranges
- Training new teachers
- Creating training and recruiting plans for new teachers
- Managing a team of tutors
- Conducting diagnostic lessons and sales pitches with potential parents/students
- Recruiting and hiring a team of TOEFL tutors
- Creating systems for measuring, tracking, reporting, and improving both teacher and student performance
- Supervising staff and working closely and collaboratively with them to increase the overall effectiveness and efficiency of instructional delivery to significantly increase student achievement
- Implementing processes and systems for strategic planning, data driven decision making, leadership coaching, professional development, and community engagement
- Developing, improving, and maintaining training manuals and systems
- Delivering reports and making recommendations to management, staff, students, and parents
- Ensuring the efficient and effective use of human, fiscal, and other resources
Our ideal candidate:
- Is results-oriented
- Can manage their time effectively
- Can adjust support based on tutors’ and students’ individualized personalities and needs
- Identifies gaps in own knowledge/skill and seeks support
- Delegates tasks to others when appropriate
- Has excellent interpersonal skills (interacting with students, parents, and tutors)
- Has both clear and concise oral and written communication
- Is self-driven and has the capability and confidence to interface effectively with senior leaders and multiple stakeholders
- Can work independently to solve problems
- Has strong business acumen, excellent communication skills, influencing skills, and planning/project management skills
- Thrives in a fast paced, rigorous environment with changing priorities
- Has an entrepreneurial mindset and is interested in taking charge of building a division from the ground up
- Bachelor’s Degree or above
- Language: Native English
- Commitment to living and working in Japan for 2-3 yrs.
- Thorough understanding of the TOEFL test
- Minimum of three (3) years of successful teaching experience.
- Experience with after school tutoring and test prep is preferred
- N3 level Japanese preferred
- Competitive compensation package
- Bonuses based on performance and company growth
- 20 days of paid time off per year
- Joining a growing bootstrapped company with a lot of potential for growth
- Autonomy to implement ideas and have a significant impact
- Can work flexible schedule, ideally available 5 days a week during regular business hours (10am-7pm Japan Standard Time)
TO APPLY – PLEASE COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION THROUGH OUR WEBSITE: https://www.tokyoacademics.com/careers/toefl-lead/