- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary ¥4,500 / Hour
- English Level Fluent
- Japanese Level Not necessary
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Overseas applicants allowed
- Visa Sponsorship Yes
About Tokyo Academics:
Tokyo Academics is the passion project of a constellation of teachers, researchers, and academics from around the world. Since 2012, we’ve evolved from a few university friends to a growing number of part-time and full-time individuals located in Tokyo, as well as working remotely. We are an organization of experts deeply passionate about helping students meet their potential and capture the opportunities of the future.
We are always looking for outstanding individuals to join our tutoring and teaching team. All tutors have exceptional academic credentials and/or professional backgrounds, making Tokyo Academics one of the most inspiring educational organizations in Japan.
We have flexible hours to fit your schedule, whether you are a post-secondary student seeking meaningful part-time work to leverage your educational background or a working professional aiming to build a career in education/teaching.
*Visa sponsorship is provided for exceptional overseas applicants looking to relocate to Japan.
What you will be doing:
(based on your background/capability and client needs)
Teaching and mentoring students both one-on-one and in classes.
- Core Subjects include:
- Reading comprehension (elementary to AP/IB or equivalent)
- Writing (elementary to AP/IB or equivalent)
- Math (elementary to calculus)
- History (World, US, & European)
- Chemistry (AP/IB or equivalent)
- Physics (AP/IB or equivalent)
- Biology (AP/IB or equivalent)
- Standardized Test Prep (SAT/ACT, SSAT/ISEE, etc.)
Our students range from elementary, middle, and high school.
We do our best to match you with students in your preferred subject areas (please indicate in your application).
Following an adaptively rigorous approach to learning with the flipped classroom method as inspiration.
Participating in and developing innovative courses (e.g. robotics, programming, study strategies).
Managing the cases of your students: scheduling, goal tracking, parent communication, escalation on needs and concerns, etc.
Working towards opportunities for greater responsibility and commensurate compensation.
Who you are:
- Inspirational - You represent top universities and the requisite academic rigors for entry. You inspire and establish credibility with high school students and their parents.
- Nurturing - You are committed to instilling essential academic skills to future generations, so they, too, can reach their maximum potential.
- Test Prep Oriented - You have the mindset to “game the system” and maximize scores: our students aim to earn high scores on the SAT, ACT, AP, IB, ISEE and SSAT to apply to competitive middle schools, high schools, and universities.
- Disciplined - You know when to apply a soft touch or discipline as needed. Our group classes require teachers to sometimes manage disengaged or disruptive students.
- Academically Excellent - You have a superior record of performance academically and on standardized examinations (SAT, ACT, AP, IB, A-Levels, etc.). You have subject matter expertise across multiple subjects: math, sciences, English, etc.
- Professional - You respond in a timely manner to important communication on various platforms (email, phone call, messenger, etc.). You communicate appropriately for internal and external needs. You can adjust to organizational structures, lines of reporting, and the right forums to address issues.
- Passionate - You have a passion for teaching students and helping them achieve academic goals. You go above and beyond to help and mentor students to reach new educational frontiers. You may have previous teaching, tutoring, coaching, or leadership experience.
- Team Minded - You are a quick study, a strong and rapid communicator, and an energetic and collaborative team member. You have the ability to self-manage your priorities and calendar.
- Committed - You are dedicated to seeing a student through to the end. Be it to the target scores, the final exam at the end of the year, or the college admissions, you will put in the time to reach success.
- Competitive compensation package
- Performance-based bonus annually
- 20 days of paid time off per year
- Joining a growing bootstrapped company with a lot of potential for growth
- Autonomy to implement ideas and have a significant impact
- 40hrs/week, flexible schedule
- Working remotely, but must be available for meetings during business hours (10am-7pm Japan Standard Time)
Hirose building 3F., 3-24-17 Nishiazabu, Minato, Tokyo 106-0031