- Employer Type Direct Hire
- Industry Education / Teaching
- Salary ¥6,000 - ¥12,000 / Day
- English Level Native level
- Japanese Level Not necessary
- Restricted to Domestic Applicants? Japan only
- Visa Sponsorship No
- English: Native, Japanese: None
- Minimum 2 years of English teaching experience in Japan to children (7 to 17 years old).
- Currently living in Tokyo or near Tokyo.
- Must have a proper visa to work in Japan
- Good at using IT (make lesson records online, upload the video, and use apps)
- Certificates of English teaching (TESOL, TEFL, CELTA）
We want to create future leaders
Here in Japan, English teaching is a market of more than 800 billion yen. Many adults desire to learn English, but are not successful. The main root of this problem lies in the education system, which hasn’t changed for the past 30 years. English education in schools revolves entirely on “teaching to the test”, focusing on grammar and English-to-Japanese translation exercises, which are easy to grade and only prepare children for University entrance exams.However, companies need someone who can actually use English in real life, not just someone who can score high on standardized tests.We should not repeat the same mistake we made in the past with the young generations. This is why we strive to expand the children’s opportunities by providing the best English learning solution.
●What is our goal
Our goal is to maximize children’s possibilities.English education in schools revolves entirely on “teaching to the test,” focusing on grammar and English-to-Japanese translation exercises, which are easy to grade and only prepare children for University entrance exams.However, companies need someone who can use English in real life, not just score high on standardized tests.We want to fill the educational gap between society and the current educational system (elementary to university). When our students graduate, they will have speaking/writing skills to communicate globally using English's universal language.
●How to make it happen
・All English environment. We are also using our original materials. No Japanese during the lesson.
・We would like students to think about their own idea rather than listen to the teacher's lecture. We are providing communicative-style lessons and a curriculum for any level of students. The role of the teacher is not actually teaching but leading students to speak out and pull out their own opinion without any hesitation.
・We have our own original program to make their English life to be their habit. We have Japanese trainers who are going to track and support their weekly training. Students need to do home training every day. (Writing practice, Online communication lesson, Grammar, and reading), and we encourage them to keep their motivation and have a conversation to resolve their issue to keep their training continuously.
Age Range: 7 to 20 years old (Elementary to University students, but mainly 6 to 13 years old beginner students)
English skills: Never to an Advanced level, some of them are used to live abroad, but mostly they have never learned English before.
a private lesson: 3,000 yen to 4,500 yen (prep＋lesson 1hr＋data input=2hr)
a group lesson: 5,000 yen to 7,500 yen (prep＋lesson 2hr＋data input=3hr)
(＋transportation fee. up to 1,000 yen/day for round trip)
It depends on your experience, attitude to the admin, and evaluation of students.
The class usually takes place fromMon-Friday 16:30-21:00 (Usually teachers will take two lessons per day)Sat 11:30-20:30
Right now we are looking for someone who can work around 16:30-21:00 from Monday to Friday. We have a lesson from 16:30-18:30, 18:30 to 20:00, 18:30-21:00 from Mon to Fri. Also we have a lesson from 11:30-13:30, 15:00-16:30, 15:00-17:30, 18:00-19:30, 19:00 to 20:30 on Sat. There is no Sunday lesson. We would like to meet someone who can take two lessons per day, and at least two days per week.
●The ideal candidate
- Know how to teach 2nd language learner in English
- Love to teach students
- Have teaching experience in English to Japanese students
- The first language is English
- Be able to explain grammar simply and clearly in English
- Highly motivated, passionate, patient, flexible, and can smile at students.
※We have a lack of female 20s to 30s teachers at this moment.
●Not preferable candidate
- Cannot be on time
- Not passionate to teach students
- No career image to be a professional English teacher.
- Just working to earn money.
- No willingness to improve your teaching skill
- Just visit Tokyo and go back to your country within a year. We would like to have a long-term relationship that benefits both students and Everest to gain trust from students and parents.
- Cannot talk in business.
Nearest station: Myogadani(Marunouchi line) 2min walk
Ohtomo Building 11F-A 1-5-18 Ohtsuka Bunkyo-Ku Tokyo 112-0012
We will have an online interview first. The rest of the process will proceed at Myougadani usually.
Nearest station: Jiyugaoka(Tokyu-Toyoko line, Oimachi line) 3min walk
Kuriyama Building 3F 2-10-18 Jiyugaoka Meguro-Ku Tokyo 152-0035
Some teachers work at both places.
・Group lesson (up to 3 students) : 3 hours (Including 30 min prep time)
・Private lesson: 2 hours (Including 30 min prep time)
●Interview and Training process
- Apply here
- Online interview (30 to 45 min) We'll use a zoom meeting. We'll also ask you a simple grammar question.
- Observation (1.5hr) Please see how our lesson proceeds!
- Two times of Co-teaching with our main teachers (both private and group lessons)
- Teacher’s guideline test (you will need to take more than 90%)
- Demo lesson (2 hours) Please show us how you proceed with your class. We will give you the advice to make your actual lesson better.
- Trial lesson to our actual students (Private lesson 2 hours)
- Another trial lesson if it’s required to see your skill more (it would be a group lesson: 3 hours)
- Decide your compensation
- Make an agreement
〒112-0012 東京都文京区大塚１丁目５−１８ 室 11FーA 大伴ビル 11F A